Corinthians rejects striker after reaction to assault case

SAO PAULO — Brazilian team Corinthians has decided against signing a 19-year-old striker accused of assaulting a former girlfriend after supporters complained.

The Sao Paulo-based club said in a statement that Sport Recife's Juninho would not be arriving "because of numerous protests by female and male fans."

Juninho was in Sao Paulo to conclude the deal when the club issued the statement. He is accused of assaulting and threatening a former girlfriend last year, but denies the claims.

Corinthians said it was giving up on the deal because "the feminist cause overtakes any other considerations."

You may also like these

Young US archer Zach Garrett hits target on and...

Aug 10, 2016

There's another showdown looming between well-known Americans in the men's archery tournament

David Ortiz limps off after fouling ball off...

Aug 11, 2016

Red Sox star David Ortiz left a game against the New York Yankees in pain after fouling a pitch off...

The Fijian way: The people's team delivers 1st...

Aug 12, 2016

Osea Kolinisau didn't want merely to win Fiji's first ever Olympic gold medal, he was determined to...

For many viewers, the (sexist) games have indeed...

Aug 11, 2016

For many viewers, the (sexist) games have indeed begun

Tweet, tweet: US hoop team hearing whistles in...

Aug 11, 2016

Some players on the U.S. men's Olympic basketball team are still adjusting to the international...

Sign up now!